Booth, George 1791-1859, Latin verse writer, was born 12 Nov. 1791 at Masborough House, Rotherham, and was the youngest son of William Booth of Masborough, and of Brush House, Ecclesfield, a descendant of an old and considerable family at Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire. After being at Eton he went to Cambridge as pensioner of Trinity College in May 1809. He left Cambridge in consequence of delicate health and removed to Oxford, where he matriculated as commoner of Lincoln College in May 1811. He took his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1813, that of M.A. in 1816, and in 1823 was created bachelor of divinity. He was ordained deacon as curate of Nether Hoyland, Wath-upon-Dearn, in the diocese of York, in December 1815, and priest in the following month. In 1816 he was elected to a fellowship of Magdalen College, Oxford, which he retained until 1834. Of this college he was made vice-president in 1830, and dean of divinity in 1832. In 1833 he was instituted to the vicarage of Findon, Sussex, which he held until his death, a period of twenty-six years. He died at Findon 21 June 1859, aged 67
He was author of Nugæ Canoræ, Oxon. 1826, 4to, and Sicut Lilium, ad Choristes Coll. S.M. Magd. Oxon. Carmen hortativum, 1854.
Information supplied by Rev. J. R. Bloxam, D.D., from his MS. Register of Magdalen Coll.
Contributor: C. W. S. [Charles William Sutton]